Big Things & Little Things

This past week has been a big one for me.
Mothers Day is always a big deal as my husband and children give me cards and do thoughtful things for me. And, I also celebrated a "big" birthday last week, too!

Frequently, we see incidents in life as “little things” and later we learn to our regret that God sees these same incidents as “big things.” And conversely, we often put our priorities on what we see as the “big things” only to find out we were wrong when God reveals to us that He sees the same as “little things.”

Being a loving mother to my children and my husband is a "big thing" and working hard to provide for them would probably be considered by myself as a "big thing." But nobody ever said on his deathbed, “I wish I’d spent more time on the job."

We know that God is interested in “small things”  because it's found throughout the Bible.

Zerubbabel rebuilt the foundation of the temple in Jerusalem after the Jews returned from Babylonian captivity. But then he was stopped for 17 years by the Samaritans who opposed the rebuilding of the temple. It seemed his small step forward would amount to nothing. But God didn’t forget. The Lord sent encouraging words to two prophets, Haggai and Zechariah, for Zerubbabel to finish the work. Zechariah 4:8-10 says, “Moreover the word of the Lord came to me, saying: ‘The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this temple; his hands shall also finish it. Then you will know that the Lord of hosts has sent Me to you. For who has despised the day of small things?’”


Rebuilding the foundation was despised and called a “small thing” by those who opposed rebuilding the temple. But God didn't see the rebuilding as a small thing. Being obedient to God is always a "big thing", even if it’s only a small beginning, like rebuilding a foundation.