Prayer of Jabez: Does God Answer It?

A few years ago, I was challenged to pray 1 Chronicles 4:9-10 for myself: "...Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory. Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." It is better known as the Prayer of Jabez. I was not prepared for what would happen next. Perhaps I didn't really believe God would act on His Word.
That's when I was approached by a stranger in Memphis, Tennessee and told about Rodan + Fields, the Doctors who created ProActiv (the acne remedy). The Holy Spirit wouldn't let me get the opportunity off my mind and I knew God was about to "enlarge my territory"; I just didn't know how or why.

Just over one year later, I've surpassed my television income and earned a Lexus of my choice paid for by Rodan + Fields. More importantly, my husband and I have been able to give like we've never given before to our church, our missionary friends and to those who need a financial increase in ways that only God can provide.

Whatever our gifts, education or career may be, our calling is to do God's work here on earth. We often call it living out our faith or ministry to others. Whatever you call it, God is looking for people who want to do more of it. For most of us, we're reluctant because we think WE know the territory God has in mind for us. Unfortunately, we don't realize what God can do through us. God told the Jews when they returned from capitivity to their bleak homeland in Zechariah 4:6, "Not by might nor by power but by My Spirit.."

God specializes in working through normal people, like me, who believe God will do His work through them. What He's waiting is the invitation from you.

When you begin asking, in earnest (or begging) for more influence and responsibility with which to honor Him, God will bring opportunities and people into your path. You can trust that He will never send someone to you whom you cannot help by His leading and strength. Yes, you'll feel fear when you begin to take new territory for Him, but you'll also experience a tremendous thrill of God carrying you along as you're doing it.

To pray for larger borders is to ask for a miracle. A miracle is an intervention by God to make something happen that wouldn't normally happen.



Someone took a look at my car tag and said, "You're missing a letter." No, that was intentional. When "I" take myself out of the equation, God can do His work. Basically, I must trust and get out of His way.

That last sentence in 1 Chronicles 4:10 says, "And God granted his request." God has granted mine, too.