The Path to Humility

I shared last week about my trip to prison a few weeks ago. While I was nervous at stepping into a realm that was uncomfortable for me, I was more afraid of being disobedient to the Lord's calling. After all, two-thirds of the word "God" is "Go".

The Lord has impressed upon me the importance of being humble. Being on television and having a growing business are worldly things that could easily make one think "God's favor is on me and not on anyone else. Therefore, I don't need to associate with people who are different than I." Or at least that's what Satan would try to make you believe. Psalm 25:9 says, "He (the Lord) guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way." Proverbs 11:2 says, "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom."

A window lets the sunshine in, along with pollen and lots of bugs, not to mention the dust and the sounds of birds chirping. But if you want fresh air, you have to be willing to live with a few flies.

When we are walking on the path to humility with the Lord, we will be open to the possibility that we may be wrong about someone or something. On that path, it is easier for God to correct us. Humility is the pathway to intimacy with God because he dwells with the humble. God is the only one who truly knows our heart as Jeremiah 17:10 says, "I the LORD search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve."

When we embrace humility in associating with those who come from a difference place than us, economically, socially, mentally and spiritually, we will be able to hear the voice of God.